RE: Remote DB Connection: Pros and Cons?

> Have any of you tried running a PHP website using a remote database
> connection?

Yes.  If you mean the web server is on 1 box and the database server is on a 2nd box.

> We currently have an in-house PHP website driven by a PostgreSQL database
> that is HEAVILY administered within the office with an administration sister
> site (also PHP).

We have our database servers within our medium sized company and internal web servers as well as a hosting company hosting external web servers.
All access at least 1 of our internal database servers.
We wouldn't want the 3rd party host to actually have our database {although remote replication is (re)considered once in a while}.

> Problem: the office connection is having trouble keeping up with the website
> traffic. Our IT guys want to outsource the whole server to a co-location
> facility, but the administrators don't want the extra lag on the admin site.
>
> Is it feasible to host the database and admin site in the office, but
> outsource the website and connect to the office database remotely? Is there
> any other way to do this?
>
> Tony

Missed that before I hit reply.  This _IS_ what we do.

Cons:
Some stranger at the 3rd party hosting site (or someone hacked into your remote web server) could see the passwords used to connect to your internal database.
The connection between the remote web server and local database is still a performance/connectivity issue.
Fun with firewall rules.