RE: Remote DB Connection: Pros and Cons?

What about setting up replication between the servers? Make the the web a slave of the office one and make it read only so avoid messing up the data.

bastien> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:08:29 -0600> From: thelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re:  Remote DB Connection: Pros and Cons?> > Splitting the tables probably wouldn't work. Most of the tables are used by> both sites and the ones that aren't are tied to the rest by foreign keys.> > Most of the updates are done from the admin site, so we're toying with the> idea of creating a read-only data warehouse for the website. The sync would> be one way from main office db to the warehouse (say, every 10 minutes).> > Any updates the website does (like an event registration or profile update)> would be done remotely to the office db. In this scheme the website db would> be 10 minutes behind. We can live with that.> > Doing everything by remote connection would be easier, but we're worried> about the performance.> > Tony> > > On 10/11/07 6:01 PM, "Chris" <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > > Tony Grimes wrote:> >> Have any of you tried running a PHP website using a remote database> >> connection?> >> > >> We currently have an in-house PHP website driven by a PostgreSQL database> >> that is HEAVILY administered within the office with an administration sister> >> site (also PHP).> >> > >> Problem: the office connection is having trouble keeping up with the website> >> traffic. Our IT guys want to outsource the whole server to a co-location> >> facility, but the administrators don't want the extra lag on the admin site.> >> > >> Is it feasible to host the database and admin site in the office, but> >> outsource the website and connect to the office database remotely? Is there> >> any other way to do this?> > > > Do the website and admin area reference the same database tables?> > > > If they don't, split the database up and keep the website db on the> > website server and the other internally.> > > > If they do, which one is the 'primary' set? ie which one gets updated?> > > > You could use replication to keep them in sync (http://www.slony.info/> > for example).> > -- > PHP Database Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php>
Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free today!
http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger