Re: Remote DB Connection: Pros and Cons?

Splitting the tables probably wouldn't work. Most of the tables are used by
both sites and the ones that aren't are tied to the rest by foreign keys.

Most of the updates are done from the admin site, so we're toying with the
idea of creating a read-only data warehouse for the website. The sync would
be one way from main office db to the warehouse (say, every 10 minutes).

Any updates the website does (like an event registration or profile update)
would be done remotely to the office db. In this scheme the website db would
be 10 minutes behind. We can live with that.

Doing everything by remote connection would be easier, but we're worried
about the performance.

Tony