Re: Re: Sending filing attachments using PHP

Stut wrote:

Let me start by apologising if my posts came across as personal. Check

If? How else can "What could be easier? Not having to read your ignorant emails." be taken?

No worries though I understand, thanks :)

What planet are you on? Seriously? Because PEAR does not need to be compiled into PHP. Zend Optimizer is no different to the optimizers

I was referring to --with-pear, sorry "compiled" was not the right word *

I'm not familiar with the switch you are referring to. If you look into

in PHP source:
./configure --help

PEAR a bit closer you will find that it is simply a package of classes. It does not need any changes to your PHP binary for it to work correctly.

available for other scripting languages. Version mismatches are a fact

I was referring to how Zend Opt is "required" for some stuff mainly because its necessary to offset the bloat. *

I'm not sure what gives you the impression that Zend Optimizer is "required" for anything. ZO is a system for pre-compiling PHP code to

If a PHP system has been "Optimized" then it requires ZO. Most admins need to have ZO since at least one of theri users will want to use sucha PHP system.

bytecodes such that the PHP source files do not need to be interpreted each time they are run. While it is true that some commercial software written in PHP is encoded and requires ZO, but this is a choice of that particular developer and is not attributable to PHP as a language or as a technology.

But it does epitomize PHP's overall paradigm of "you want to add funtionality for XYZ? ok lets drunkenly add support for it without tryign to be consistent or plan for anything in the future.

of life with all tools, deal with it. And last but not least, you do not

And PHP tends to have a greater majority of them, have you ever managed PHP on multiple servers? If you have you kwo exactly what I'm referring to.
I maintain 13 servers in total, each of them have PHP installed, and

try 13000 :) 13 is child's play and can be easily managed.

have to be root to do anything with PHP, or indeed Apache except to

I was referring to building PHP/Apache in general *

You do not need to be root to build PHP or Apache, or in fact anything else, so I'm not sure where you're getting that requirement from.

So any user on your systems can recompile apache or PHP at will?

listen on a port lower than 1024, which is true for all tools since it's a platform limitation.

* I'm speaking in generalitites of working with PHP not specifics components of the technology.
In that case I would point out that your personal experiences with PHP are not necessarily a reflection on PHP. I hope you don't take offense

My personal experiences with PHP and many other internet technologies is quite extensive.

Quoting your original post... "it uses perl's MIME tools and SMTP tools". How is that not saying "PEAR or any specific package used Perl"?

Because I was refering to the URL I'd sent to Perl's Mail::Sender::Easy module.

Your solution was not "better" given the context of the question. Specifically that the question was asking about doing something in PHP and was asked on the PHP list meaning it's not a great leap to assume the guy need a solution in PHP.

A solution is a solution, PHP is just one tiny option, I was offering an easier to work with alternative.

Feel free to ignore the rest of this post, which I hope you'll take in the spirit it is meant, but please answer me this. What has PHP done to you? Why are you so anti-PHP? And specifically why are you on a PHP list suggesting people use a different technology?

PHP has all the problems I've been specifying, that costs time and money, and I'm sick of it :)

I'm on this list because I am a developer for a company that makes an apache install system and I needed to find out some info on the specific oddness of PHP4 and PHP5's --with-mysql and --with-mysqli options so that its would work properly.

Which in fact PHP4/5 + --with-mysql[i] *is* a huge example of what makes PHP the last choice for any project.