RE: Problem installing mssql extension

You still need to set the PHPRC system variable to c:\php5 (on the
System Properties menu, Advanced tab, click Environment Variables).
Also, PHP4 has an "extensions" directory.  PHP5 should point to

extension_dir = "C:\PHP5\ext\"

PLEASE NOTE that I disagree with Frank that the "correct" methodology is
to pollute system32 with all of your PHP DLLs.  This makes maintenance
harder.  All of my dll's live in the C:\php tree, so when I swap to the
next 5.1.x release, I don't have to go hunt down a bunch of random dll's
in system32.

When I tried to run only the mssql extension, I kept getting a php
startup error that it was "Unable to load c:\php5\ext\php_mssql.dll".  I
knew that the file was there, why couldn't it be opened?  I researched
this (sorry, lost the link) and found that mssql extension has a
dependency on the mysql extension.  So then I was getting "Unable to
load c:\php5\ext\php_mysql.dll".  That's when I learned that it's best
to set your PHPRC System Variable to load the required dll's directly
from the php5 directory tree, rather than copying them to system32.

This should be especially useful to you as you are running 5.1.2-dev, as
these dll's may change with the stable release.

-jim