Help. I am losing the plot.

script1.php:

echo 'script 1 before';
require_once('script2.php');
echo 'script 1 after';

script2.php:

echo 'hello from script 2';

which in IE visually produces:

script 1 beforehello from script 2script 1 after

However if I view the source in IE, I get:

script 1 before?hello from script 2script 1 after
^
^
^
NOTICE THE QUESTION MARK.

As of about 2 hours ago, this is suddenly appearing in ALL my scripts where ever an include, include_once, require or require_once occurs but ONLY IN IE.

It doesn't seem to be happening in Firefox.

I have no idea what is going on. I am rapidly becoming a gibbering mess. I have never seen anything like this before. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Does anyone know a good shrink?

Ross