PHP5 + Postgres 8.0.0 + pg_transaction_status

Sorry if this was already mentioned on the list, but I couldn't find it.

One of our developpers wants to use the pg_transaction_status() command on one of our servers.

This sample code (as taken from de documentation):

$dbconn = pg_connect("dbname=xxxxx host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx user=xxxx password=xxxxxxx") or die("Could not connect");
  $stat = pg_transaction_status($dbconn);
  if ($stat === PGSQL_TRANSACTION_UNKNOWN) {
     echo 'Connection is bad';
  } else if ($stat === PGSQL_TRANSACTION_IDLE) {
     echo 'Connection is currently idle';
  } else {
     echo 'Connection is in a transaction state';
  }

produces the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function pg_transaction_status() in test.php on line 14

The php manual states the following:

Not all functions are supported by all builds. It depends on your libpq (The PostgreSQL C Client interface) version and how libpq is compiled. If there is missing function, libpq does not support the feature required for the function.

I have installed Postgresql 8.0.0 from source and php 5.0.4 also from source.

so my question is: how does postgresql 8.0.x need to be compiled/installed for the pg_transaction_status() command to work?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Kind regard,
Jo.