From: Martin Norland [mailto:martin.norland@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 4:31 PM
To: PHP-mailist (PHP-mailist)
Subject: Re:  Shrinking gifs. .

nikos wrote:
> Hello list
> I'd like to make a thumbnaile list using some gifs.
> I use the following code but I got error (Call to undefined function:
> imagecreatefromgif() ).
> Does anybody knows what's wrong?
[snip]
> RH-9 Linux
> Apache httpd-2.0.40-21.11
> PHP Version 4.3.11
> gd-1.8.4-11

gif support was removed from gd in 1.6*.  It was re-added in 2.0.28.
This is all due to the Unisys patent on the LZW compression that gifs
use.

short answer - you just don't have support for making gifs, it was a
licensing issue at the time the software you're using was
released/packaged.  Upgrade gd.

* funny, since gd stood for 'gif draw' originally.

cheers,
--
- Martin Norland, Sys Admin / Database / Web Developer, International
Outreach x3257