RE: Content Management

Peter,

Unfortunately it's not a PHP solution, but I recently launched a site for a
client and used the Macromedia Contribute product and Dreamweaver Templates
to allow the user to maintain certain areas of the site.

Now, before everybody else on the list blasts it, I'm not here touting
Macromedia products or anything like that. This was a very simple solution
that worked for the very simple requirements in this case. And my client was
happy to spend the $159 on the Contribute license rather than pay me to make
silly text and graphics updates to the site.

Essentially, I worked with DW a little to find out what codes it inserted in
the HTML to set up the templates. Then I worked on a set of templates for
the different pages in the site without using DW. Once you see what
Contribute is looking for, you can pretty much set the whole site up without
DW, which is what I ended up doing.

Now, Contribute isn't the absolute best product out there, but it allows my
client who knows nothing about HTML or FTP or inserting links to go in and
add/modify/delete content in the areas left open by the templates. It also
lets him set up tables, insert images, links, and new pages without
knowledge of HTML. Contribute sets up some additional folders that don't
follow the same logic I would personally use, but they seem to work.

Contribute does not have much in the way of hard-core content management
like real collaboration or threaded discussions, or a built-in calendar, but
it does a decent job of versioning the pages as they are changed. There is
also a simple permissions set you can use to allow only certain people to
access certain parts of the template. It's a low-end tool for very simple
needs. If that's all you're looking for, it's something worth considering
along with engines like *Nuke which might take more implementation time on
your end (haven't used them so I don't know for sure) but don't cost
anything.

The content and maintenance activities you listed in your post are very
similar to the content my client maintains with Contribute so I think the
contexts are parallel.

Just something for you to think about.

Rich