RE: setting root password

when you log on, there is no default database set to use

type:   use mysql

bastien

From: "Perry, Matthew (Fire Marshal's Office)" <Matthew.Perry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  setting root password
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:09:56 -0500

I entered select user();

It outputs:

---------------
user()
root@localhost
---------------

After I enter:
SET PASSWORD FOR root@localhost=PASSWORD('mypassword');

ERROR 1146: Table mysql.user does not exist.

How is this possible?

- Matt

-----Original Message----- From: dpgirago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dpgirago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 8:37 AM To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: setting root password

Matt,

Is there a space between PASSWORD and the opening parenthesis? There
shouldn't be, if there is. Otherwise, your statement worked without errors
for me on MySQL Version 4.0.16.max-nt.

Make sure that you are logged in as root.

C : \ >select user();

Sometimes MySQL is cryptic about its error messages for security reasons.

dave

"Perry, Matthew (Fire Marshal's Office)" <Matthew.Perry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

10/19/2004 08:24 AM

To:
php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:

RE:  setting root password

After going to the command prompt I have done exactly this:

c:\>cd C:\mysql\bin

c:\mysql\bin>mysql -uroot -p

mysql>SET PASSWORD FOR root@localhost=PASSWORD('mypassword');

I get the following familiar message:

You have an error on your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds
your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
'PASSWORD('mypassword')' at line 1

Why does this not set my password correctly?

-Matt

  _____