RE: which DB to use?

Matthew,

Take a close look at Sybase 12.5.2 Express Edition -
http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo

They have released the latest version of their flagship database as a
royalty free Linux implementation.

There are constraints being 1 CPU*, 2 Gb RAM and 5 Gb Data.  If your
application can live within these limitations you can use it in production
for free.  You can even purchase support on it (not cheap though)!

IMO the only serious constraint is the 5 Gb Data limit.  You would need a
very busy TP or DSS system to push beyond the other limits, by which time
you should be able to fund the licencing of the full product.

I am using Sybase Developer Edition (same code base) with the ct libraries
and PHP 4.3.8 no problems.  The only downside at the moment is the version
of Linux - at the moment it is only certified for RH AS 2 and 3, SuSE ES 9.0
(plus a few others) but there appears to be ways of running it on Fedora
Core.  I am using RH 7.3 because 7.2 was the last free distro identified and
I had it handy.

Zap me a mail if you need more info - news sites etc.

Cheers,
Frank.

* 1 CPU for the dataserver - you can run it on a multi cpu system with more
than 2 Gb RAM.  In a dual CPU host use 1 CPU for Data and one for
Apache/PHP.