Re: which DB to use?

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:24:10 -0500, Matthew Perry <mwperry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The latest version is still only alfa.
>

> Miles Thompson wrote:
>

> > Check the MySQL docs - I *think* subqueries are  supported in the
> > latest version, but not triggers or stored procedures. But as I say,
> > check.
> >
> > Alternatives? PostgreSQL or Firebird.
> >
> > HTH - Miles Thompson
> >
> > At 11:07 AM 10/1/2004, Matthew Perry wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you very much for your help.
> >> If I had to choose between MS SQL Server or or mysql, which would you
> >> recommend?  I prefer nested subqueries, triggers, procedures etc
> >> supported by SQL Server but am completely unfamiliar with any
> >> problems that may be accociated with using Microsoft's product and PHP.
> >>
> >> Ideally, I would use Oracle but it is probably outside of our budget.
> >>
> >> - matt

Though I think you would be better to use postgres, as if you use the
native tools you will get pretty good performance from php (instead of
using an abstraction layer, I saw some nasty stats for pear db and
postgres/mysql), don't dismiss oracle off-hand... I don't know what
your price range is but my understanding is that their prices have
dropped considerably in the last wee while. Otherwise use postgres, it
has everything but a coffee-maker, which oracle is offering now, but
is not really required.
Cheers
Antoine

--