MySQL denying access to everything...Part 2

Ok, thanks to many people's help, I have managed to install MySQL right and
login as root with no password. However, MySQL will not allow to log in to my
databases as root. Is this normal, because when I try it brings back the old
access denies: root@localhost thing.

So I thought maybe I just have to figure out how to create accounts, and then
configure them to be all access. I have read the manual on  creating
accounts, but for some reason it doesn't work. Here is how it goes:

I access mysql.exe and put in this:

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'user'@'localhost'

Then I hit enter. It starts me off with an indented down arrow and I finish
the GRANT command.

    ->     IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Then I hit enter. IT gives me another down arrow. I hit enter again and again
and again and all it does is give me more indented down arrows...  What now?