De: Hans Lellelid [mailto:hans@xxxxxxxxx]
Enviado el: Viernes, 11 de Junio de 2004 12:15 a.m.
Para: Miguel Guirao
CC: 'Justin Patrin'; php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re:  Re: Anyone using MSQL Server with PHP?

Hi Miguel,

I would also strongly suggest that you use a salted hash if you are
concerned with security -- especially if that md5 could ever be
compromised or pass in clear text over an internet connection.  The
md5() function in PHP produces unsalted hashes, which are fairly easy to

crack.

Unlike md5(), the PHP crypt() function will generate salted hashes.  On
my windows system it creates salted MD5 hashes (other operating systems
may have other options like SHA1).  A "salt" is essentially an
additional random element that gets added into the password hash.  This
means that unlike md5() you will get a different hash each time you run
crypt() on an identical string:

crypt(hello) = $1$bJoW4DmS$GDNwsRSjd5rwkfra6KOh10
crypt(hello) = $1$DnL7LQXm$eioj87M92X3IQvoTEquY21
crypt(hello) = $1$h488/RAa$e8tA4K1hEuBBRnagJbBnV1

instead of:

md5(hello) = 5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592
md5(hello) = 5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592
md5(hello) = 5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592

Why does this matter?  Well, because of something called the time-memory

tradeoff (try a google search to see the math behind this).  The basic
principle of the time-memory tradeoff is that you could either spend a
long time trying to brute force each password hash or you could just
spend time once creating really big (memory) tables that contain all the

possibilities and then crack a hashed password in seconds.  Of course
the more complex the passwords you want to crack the longer it takes to
build these tables (could be days, weeks, months, etc.), but the idea is

that once you've built these tables it only takes a few seconds to crack

any supported password.  Time-memory tradeoff only works with unsalted
passwords because these are 100% predicatble (hash of unsalted MD5 is
always the same, as seen above).

To check an entered password against the original when using salted
hashes, you need to do something a little different: you have to pass
the original encrypted password as the salt to the crypt() function (the

crypt() function extracts the salt from the passed password and uses
that same salt to encrypt the entered password).

For example in PHP, check entered password against real password like
this:

if (crypt($entered_pw, $real_pw) == $real_pw) {
   // login success
}

Hope that helps.  (Anyone, please correct any errors or misinformation
above!)

Hans