From: "Mignon Hunter" <mignon.hunter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 3:07 PM
Subject: Re:  Stumped with proper query & display

Can someone please help me or direct me to some scripts that might get me
unstuck, as I've not done this kind of query before.

To simplify:

Table 1
id                     1
Name               John Doe
company          IBM

Table 2
id                    1
choice             choice #1
id                    1
choice              choice #2

So I have 2 records in table 2 that I need to tie in with id # 1 in table 1.

What's the smartest way to do the query ? I have 5 different tables I need
to query.  I guess I can get the data I want by selecting all from the 5
tables then parsing through like:

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res)) {
foreach Table1.id {
if Table1.id == Table2.id{
echo <tr>
}}}

I could probably manage if I do 5 different queries with 5 different results
sets, but that is obviously inelegant and would create more overhead

I need to display as:

John Doe           IBM         Choice #1, Choice #2

Am I even close ?  Need some help with the logic...

Thx for any guidance

mignon