RE: Paging large recordsets

If you are not opearating in a stateless environment, then you could use a
cursor.  The web is a stateless environment, and therefore the record set
needs to be cached either to disk or memeory.  The other alternative is to
rerun the query for each page request.  Using disk space to store query
results for the purpose of paging over the web is commonly done by search
engines, and even some database engines use disk space for cursor
implementation.  I agree that using session variables for this purpose is
not ideal, but what's the alternative in PHP?  Storing only the
identifiers instead of all the data significantly lessons the impact.

I agree, it should be avoided if possible.

-- bob