RE: Paging large recordsets

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Paul Miller wrote:

> I have always heard it was bad to store that much data in a session array?
>
> Can someone clarify this for me?

IMO It is bad to store lots of data in session variables.

The $_REQUEST var for the post/get should be enough.

code:

    $conf['maxresultsperpage'] = 10;

    $ref = mysql_query("select count(*) as c from table where subject like '%foo%'");
    list($cnt) = mysql_fetch_array($ref); // will assoc work here?  dunno, didn't test
    echo "Displaying ".($conf['maxresultsperpage']*$_REQUEST['page'])-9." through ".($conf['maxresultsperpage']*$_REQUEST['page']).".";
    $ref = mysql_query("select subject, data from table where subject like '%foo%' limit ".$conf['maxresultsperpage'].", ".($conf['maxresultsperpage']*$_REQUEST['page'])-10);

    // loop through array returned from mysql

    echo "<a href='url?page=".$_REQUEST['page']+1."'>Next</a>";

 I think.  It might need some tweaking, but you get the idea (I hope).

 No need to store variables here.

Beckman