SQL SERVER 2000 with PHP and FOR XML clause

Hi,

Has anybody had any luck using the ODBC libraries in PHP to connect to a SQL
Server 2000 database and passing in a SELECT with a FOR XML clause.  I keep
getting
Warning: odbc_execute(): SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
Server]The FOR XML clause is not allowed in a CURSOR statement., SQL state
37000 in SQLExecute in ...

Is there a work around or am I missing something.

I have tried doing a prepare and then an execute, as well as just an exec.
I have also tried wrapping the SELECT in a stored procedure in the DB hoping
that result set would be returned as binary data.

Please Help!!