Select Value with 's

This is a basic question but I am all messed up and need to be straightened
out..

Have a select field called customer that works great except when there is a
'  in the customer name.
Have tried addslash and stripslashes but I think I might be using them
wrong.

If I addslash to the select value, the value received but the result page is
truncated up to the point of

Can someone refresh me on the correct use of add and strip slashes...
please??

Thanks

Aleks