Re: Using two colomns of mysql data as key/value pairs in arrays

Devon --

...and then Devon said...
%
% David T-G wrote:
%
% >Note that I don't recommend this as the best approach, and I don't think
% >doing it in two steps of loading your $everyone and then spitting out I'd
% >probably do something like
% >
% >  $sql = "select id,name from a_table order by department" ;
% >  $result = mysql_query($sql) ;
% >  while ( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) )
% >    { print "ID: {$row['id']}\tName: {$row['name']}<br>\n" ; }
% >
% >to just run through the data.  I'm sure others here know of even better
% >ways to print a roster :-)
%
% Indeed, I was trying to simply display a list of the data. I had coded
% the formatting and displaying first, based on the array I described,
% then tackled the MySQL part last. I see now that it prevented me from

Been there; oops-ed that.  You can even let the DB format your output for
you so that it spits out HTML and then you're *really* on your way to
just dumping the output to the page! :-)

% seeing the better idea of removing the array from the equation
% completely. Your information was invaluble.

Happy to help!

%
% I did however go with mysql_fetch_assoc instead of mysql_fetch_array for
% efficiency. :)

I hear more and more that that's the way to go :-)

HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"