Using two colomns of mysql data as key/value pairs in arrays

I have been scouring the online documentation and experimenting for hours trying to find a solution. I just can't do it.

I have two colomns of data that I am retrieving from MySQL:

SELECT id, name FROM a_table;

I just cannot figure out how to get that data from the resource handle into an associative array with the 'id' colomn making up the keys and the 'name' colomn making up the values.

Any help would be wonderful! :)

Using PHP 4.3.3 on Linux if it matters.