Re: data structure help needed

Cal,

This looks great. Thanks... exactly what I was after.

- Charles

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Cal Evans wrote:

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com/tip/ 1,289483,sid13_gci801943,00.html
Similar situation in the tutorial, it's an org chart.

=C=

* Cal Evans
* http://www.christianperformer.com
* Stay plugged into your audience
* The measure of a programmer is not the number of lines of code he writes
but the number of lines he does not have to write.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Kline" <ckline@rightcode.net> To: <php-db@lists.php.net> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 10:30 AM Subject: data structure help needed

hi all,

i am developing a site where users will be related in a parent-child
type relationship.

my users table is like this:

id     |     user    |    parent
---------------------------------
1      |    joe       |    null
2      |    bill       |    null
3      |   fred      |    1
4      |   john     |    3
5     |   frank     |   3
etc.

Any user may have many children - what I want to do is traverse the
tree in such a way that I can go up the family tree from any spot and
see who is related.

Anyone know of a good tutorial or a point in the right direction? I
think this will require some recursive statement, which I have not done
in PHP or MySQL before.

Thanks
Charles