Oracle & PHP4

Hey everyone... We are wroking on a project in which we use Oracle9i on Linux for the backend and Apache & PHP4 for the frontend (to build a website).  I know that there are some functions in PHP (OCI functions) that are designed specifically for Oracle.  However, we are using ODBC functions instead.  We have no problems and the ODBC functions work just well.  My question is:  What are the advantages and disadvantages of using OCI functions over the use of ODBC functions -and vise versa- to work with an Oracle backend?   Thank You.