Re: Oracle SQLPlus and PHP OCI8 returning different results

Gozer <gozer@fusion4.com> wrote:
> Web Server is RH Linux 7.3 with PHP 4.2.2 and Apache 1.3.26.  The DB server
> is Win2k Advanced Server and Oracle 8.1.7.
>
> I've created a user with most privileges, created all of the tables with
> that user, and imported all the data with that user.  However, I'm getting a
> disturbing difference in results between SQLPlus and PHP's OCI8 functions
> when I exec the same SQL statement.  For example, with one statement I only
> get PHP results when I leave off the where clause.  On another, I don't get
> anything from PHP.
>
> I've tried using uppercase field and table names and adding single quotes
> around all values in the where clause. I also tried using several of the
> ocifetch function.  Has anyone seen this before?

Yes, more than once - it always turned out that it was my own fault.

a) Talked to two different databases (ORACLE_SID was wrong).
b) Inserted some rows with sqlplus, forgot to commit them, PHP didn't
   see the new rows.
c) Logged in with sqlplus on an afternoon, played a bit with it, and in
   the next morning I got different results from that sqlplus session
   and from PHP. The problem was that our DB has a package which stores
   the login date in a session specific variable. So the old sqlplus
   session returned data from yesterday, and PHP returned the current
   data.

Using PHP's old ora_* functions would of course not have helped in these
cases.

Regards...
		Michael