Oracle SQLPlus and PHP OCI8 returning different results

Web Server is RH Linux 7.3 with PHP 4.2.2 and Apache 1.3.26.  The DB server
is Win2k Advanced Server and Oracle 8.1.7.

I've created a user with most privileges, created all of the tables with
that user, and imported all the data with that user.  However, I'm getting a
disturbing difference in results between SQLPlus and PHP's OCI8 functions
when I exec the same SQL statement.  For example, with one statement I only
get PHP results when I leave off the where clause.  On another, I don't get
anything from PHP.

I've tried using uppercase field and table names and adding single quotes
around all values in the where clause. I also tried using several of the
ocifetch function.  Has anyone seen this before?  Will switching to the
other PHP Oracle functions matter?

Thanks,
  Gary