Help for list selection

I am very new to PHP. I have a survey to do and I would like to have most
of the questions selected from drop down lists. I have got the part of
creating a list made from a table in MySQL.
Currently I open the connection and get the table for the question for
every question in the survey. This seems awful cumbersome.
 I was wondering is there an easier way?Would it be better to open the
connection once and get all tables?

Thanks for any help in advance
Roland Perez
roland.perez@usdoj.gov