Re: Just curious about the echo commnad

Lisi [mailto:lists@shemeshdirectory.co.il] wrote:

> My personal test for how to do it is how much is being
> echoed. Since many
> HTML tags require quotes, which have to be escaped in PHP, I
> prefer to
> close PHP and go back into HTML. This avoids the inevitable
> bugs when I
> forget to escape the quote.  If, however, I have something
> short I will
> just echo it with PHP.
I do it the same way. Additionally, if I open tags with echo, I close them
with echo, too and vice versa. This enables one to use tools like
Dreamweaver on (small) PHP pages [if one doesn't use smarty].

> There is one performance factor to consider, it's best to
> reduce opening
> and closing PHP since each time you open it there is another
> call to the
> server (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong!) which
> could in theory
> slow down your page loading, but I'm not sure how much this
> really matters.
> Anyone out there know anything about this?
It does matter, but not much. Leaving/re-entering PHP mode many times inside
a page does not use another server call, but needs memory (stack space and
PHP interpreter/bytecode structures). This can easily be bypassed by using a
PHP acellerator like the Zend Accelerator (http:///www.zend.com/) or PHP
Acellerator (http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/).

Thomas