RE: [PHP] Enum table entry

There should really be another table for all of this information. Say
you're tracking school information for a specific person. That person
would have an ID number and you'd store the school information in a
separate table that stores the user's ID and the school ID. You could
even expand this to track other items by adding a third column that says
the item being tracked is a school, spell, item, etc. This may seem like
a pain now, but it's going to be the most scalable solution. Using
serialize, what happens when someone has all 40 schools and it's over
255 characters? Do you make them all text columns?

An ideal solution would involve a variety of tables. Table 1: Users.
This would store user information such as name, rank, etc, and assign
each one a unique ID. Table 2: Schools. This would list all of the
possible schools that someone can take and assign each one a unique ID.
Table 3: Spells. This would list all of the possible spells and assign
each one a unique ID. Table 4: Call it what you want but this table is
going to link the user IDs to school and magic IDs. If a user
(User_ID=1) has schools abjuration (ID=2) and conjuration (ID=5), then
you'd have two rows in this linking table, 1-2 and 1-5.

Okay... I've blabbered enough.

---John Holmes...