Re: how to host a site in LAN?

In message <fu43fu+jhem@xxxxxxxxxxx>, joshi_amn <joshi_amn@xxxxxxxxx>
writes

>Hi, i have a stupid question ..i hope it will be answered sooner
>than later.
>
>I have already installed PHP APACHE and MYSQL as provided by
>WAMP.And everything is okay. I have recently connected my computer
>to a LAN through a server (my computer is not the server) and the
>problem is that  I don't know how to configure the stuffs so that i
>host a local website for my LAN user.
>ie suppose  when user types http://myServer/
>then they should see the index.php page hosted in my localhost.
>

>Please help me  with all the step wise details on how to  do that.I
>use windows xp.
>
>I am desperete. I tried google but in vain.
>
>sincerely
>Nirmal Joshi

I set up a system recently which had minimum security, as it was on a
LAN.

There were none of the complications suggested in other emails.  You can
certainly do it from Windows XP, over a local network, but you use the
phrase "connected ... via a server" so I am not sure what sort of
network you are using.  In my case, all computers were in a local
network, with no server specified, the usual peer to peer set up where
users can share documents and printers.

If I recall, if the computer which had the server on it was called fred,
then you just needed to type in http://fred in the browser on any other
computer.  This would bring up whatever was in http://localhost on fred.
So to make it http://myServer, you would need to rename your machine
(Windows Control Panel - System).

...which has nothing to do with php or objects!

--
Pete Clark

Sunny Andalucia
http://hotcosta.com/Andalucia.Spain