Re: issues with using form in php

--- In php-objects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Sudhakar" <finals27@...> wrote:

> i have 3 pages page1.php page2.php and page3.php
>
> in page1.php user fills a registration form in page2.php the user
> can review what they have entered and make any changes and
>
> page3.php displays a message that the registration has been
> completed.
>
> i am having issues with javascript validation in page2.php
>
> in page1.php the javascript validation file is file1.js and in
> page2.php it is file2.js in page1.php the javascript code i
>
> have written works fine and does all the validation as the form
> elements in page1.php are written as
> <input type="text" name=""> <input type="radio" name=""> ...
>
> in page2.php i am displaying these form elements using php so that
> user can preview what they have entered and make changes
>
> instead of going back to page1.php the code to display the form
> elements in page2.php is
>
> <?php
> echo "<input type ='hidden' name='username' value='".stripslashes
> ($username)."'>";
> echo "<input type =\"text\" name=\"username\" value=\"$username\">";
> ?>
>
> in page2.php for checkboxes the code is <input type="checkbox"
> name="" value=""> which is normal html unlike the textfields
>
> above using php
>
> what i have noticed in page2.php is the checkboxes are being
> validated however the text fields in page2.php do not validate
>
> properly and does not work as it works in page1.php
>
> what i am thinking is because the textfields are being generated
> using the above php code the javascript is not reading and
>
> validating however i am not sure what the exact reason is.
>
> sample code of javascript for file1.js is
>
> var username = document.registrationform.username
> if ((username.value==null) || (username.value=="") ||
> (username.length=="") )
> {
> 		alert("Please Enter a User Name")
> 		username.value=""
> 		username.focus()
> 		return false
> }
>
> sample code of javascript for file2.js is
>
> var fname=document.registrationform.fname
> if ( (fname.value==null) || (fname.value=="") || (fname.length=="") )
> {
> 		alert("First Name is required")
> 		return false
> }
> also sometime if i use fname.value in page2.php i get an error that
> value is not an object or is null so i have modified the
>
> code in file2.js to some extent
>

> can some one tell me how to go about validating textfields and other
> form elements in page2.php using php code to be
>
> validated like the checkboxes in page2.php
>
> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>

> also in page2.php i have an insert statement which writes the
> information that a user has entered in the form into mysql
>
> database. i have read about database injection recently. so i have
> used $username  = addslashes($_POST["username"]);
> [...]

I don't know if i've understood the right problem...

But i can anyway give you some suggestions:

1- don't use document.registrationform.fname.value, but
document.getElementById('field_name').value (givin a "id" attribute to
the field, id="field_name").
2- checkboxes should be checked by accessing ".checked" property
(true/false) and not ".value"
3- don't use $username (i think you have setup register_globals = on
on your php.ini file). Use $_POST['username'] (or $_GET...).

I hope it could help you.

Bye!