RE: Posting data to another form and getting handle of the opened window.

Hi Zaid,
It is not a problem particularly to do with pop-up windows and I have
approached it in two ways on projects I have worked on.

Firstly, on the client side.  This involves setting a global javascript
flag which is set when the form is submitted.  Thus, when the user tries
to submit the form again you check the status of the flag and tell them
it has already been submitted and do nothing.

Secondly, from the server side.  In this case you generate a unique id
which is written to a database table called something like
pageTransaction, with a status of 'new'.  You insert the unique id into
a hidden field in the page.  When the page is submitted the first thing
you do is check the status of the pageTransaction row, if it is still
'new' then you update it to 'old'.  If the row is already 'old', then it
means the user has resubmitted the form and you reject the transaction
with a suitable message.

Which one is best?  In the first case we were dealing with an intranet
situation where all users were using IE, they all had javascript turned
on, and we had total control.  So I think the client side check was just
about justifiable.  However, I think the server side technique is more
reliable and probably the way to go unless there are any better
suggestions from other developers.  The second technique certainly
seemed to work perfectly well for our project.

Brian