Re: Introduction of newbie

Mogens Eliasen wrote:
> Hi all - I am Mogens from BC in Canada - and I now realize that I have
> to learn this PHP thing, as I am left with a web site that uses it -
> with the programmer gone....  and, I need to make some changes and
> improvements....
>
> I am pretty good with HTML - but PHP has thrown me completely off....
>  I have no clue where to begin.  I can make a little meaning out of
> some of teh code on my pages, but not at all enough to understand what
> is actually going on.   I bought some books and e-books about it,
> hoping to learn this - but I have yet to find anything that makes
> sense, WITHOUT assuming that I am a full-time professional tech who
> makes a living on maintaining a commercial web server...
>
> I have a database (MySQL) connected to my web site, and an affiliate
> program running that uses it - and it works.
>
> The tasks I am looking at includes what I believe are very simple
> tasks, like:
>
> - I need to be able to read a value in the database and display it on
> a web page that is in .php format with html coding;  I refuse to
> believe that I need to read a 600-page book in order to that...
>
> - I need to make a web page for myself that will allow me to search in
> the database for all purchases made by a given customer;  this one, I
> acknowledge, could be more cumbersome, as it deals with more than one
> parameter.
>
> - I need to use the above to do stats and math on the data; tis is
> less urgent, but it will be important for me later.
>

> I found a web page that appears to cover quite a bit of what I am
> looking for.  It is called a PHP CLASS - whatever that means.  The URL
> is http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2943.html - it contains no
> explanations in regards to what it is and how it works.
>
> It this where I should start?  Or will that just lead me into more
> frustrations?  Where do I find an overview of the terminology, so
> pages like this are a little better than Greek to me?
>
> Any ideas and suggestions are certainly welcome.

Limit what you are trying to achieve. Maybe start with problem one, how
to display in a web page & then move on to reading the database.
I got myself a copy of "PHP5 Unleashed" by John Coggeshall Publisher
SAMS ISBN 067232511x which I find quite useful.
Page 6 in the above has:-
<?php echo "Hello, World!"; ?>
Now you cannot get much more basic than that but start there and play.

--
Regards,
Alf Stockton		www.stockton.co.za

You are fighting for survival in your own sweet and gentle way.

My email disclaimer is available at www.stockton.co.za/disclaimer.html

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
http://www.metastorage.net/
Yahoo! Groups Links