Introduction of newbie

Hi all - I am Mogens from BC in Canada - and I now realize that I have
to learn this PHP thing, as I am left with a web site that uses it -
with the programmer gone....  and, I need to make some changes and
improvements....

I am pretty good with HTML - but PHP has thrown me completely off....
 I have no clue where to begin.  I can make a little meaning out of
some of teh code on my pages, but not at all enough to understand what
is actually going on.   I bought some books and e-books about it,
hoping to learn this - but I have yet to find anything that makes
sense, WITHOUT assuming that I am a full-time professional tech who
makes a living on maintaining a commercial web server...

I have a database (MySQL) connected to my web site, and an affiliate
program running that uses it - and it works.

The tasks I am looking at includes what I believe are very simple
tasks, like:

- I need to be able to read a value in the database and display it on
a web page that is in .php format with html coding;  I refuse to
believe that I need to read a 600-page book in order to that...

- I need to make a web page for myself that will allow me to search in
the database for all purchases made by a given customer;  this one, I
acknowledge, could be more cumbersome, as it deals with more than one
parameter.

- I need to use the above to do stats and math on the data; tis is
less urgent, but it will be important for me later.

I found a web page that appears to cover quite a bit of what I am
looking for.  It is called a PHP CLASS - whatever that means.  The URL
is http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2943.html - it contains no
explanations in regards to what it is and how it works.

It this where I should start?  Or will that just lead me into more
frustrations?  Where do I find an overview of the terminology, so
pages like this are a little better than Greek to me?

Any ideas and suggestions are certainly welcome.

Cheers,

Mogens

PHP Data object relational mapping generator
http://www.metastorage.net/
Yahoo! Groups Links