Re: [php-objects] New package rating system at PHP Classes

Hello,

On 05/23/2003 10:13 AM, Gold wrote:
>>Finally I made time to implement a frequently requested feature: a
>>rating system for packages made available in the PHP Classes site.
>>
>>The idea is to let users that have downloaded packages from the site to
>>rate them in up to 4 criteria: utility, documentation, examples and test
>>scripts. Only packages that have any of the the last 3 types of files
>>can be rated in the respective criteria.
>>
>>For now there is only a rating page but later there will be user rating
>>charts and even contests.
>>
>>I am not yet announcing this feature to all site users before it is
>>subject of some testing. So please try it by going to the rate page and
>>let me know if you experience any problems or difficulties to understand
>>how it works.
>>
>>http://www.phpclasses.org/rate.html
>>

> Could I suggest one more category?
> Code Formatting; how well the code is laid out.  How consistant it is
> thorughout the script etc.
>
> As someone who spends all day working with php the one thing that really
> annoys me is grabbing a class from somewhere that I think might be
> useful and then looking over the code only to find it unreadable because
> the coder hasn't been coding long enough to build up this sort of habit.

The problem is not quite adding a consistency rating but rather how
people will interpret it. I am afraid that some people only value a
style that is the same as their own even when the style of the classes
they rate is well defined and applied consistently.

I have added a consistency rating but I am not sure how will this rating
will weight in a overall rating.

This is not yet decided but utility will weight most of the overall
rating. Maybe utility will get 60% of the rating and the other four
items will weight 10% each.

Maybe I should make a poll on the weights of each rating.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
http://www.phpclasses.org/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/saFolB/TM