Re: Significant response time delays between 8.0 and 8.1

On 20/12/2023 02:12, Steve Parry wrote:
Thanks Rich.
Answers below, prefixed by A:. Also added a table of differences between the PHP versions.
Cheers
...Steve

Are you restarting the services i.e. Apache/PHP-FPM between each test?
A: No - The server is a shared hosting server - I have no control over restarting services. The issue is demonstrated by changing the PHP version in the CPanel using MultiPHP Manager - as many times as you like!

I did a compare between the PHPInfo from PHP8.0 and PHP8.1 and found the following that might have an impact.
As I really don't understand these parameters very well, could you suggest any which may have an impact that I could change? (Not sure how well a text only email will format this, but here we go!):

Parameter		PHP8.0		PHP8.1
Loaded Configuration 			File path error in 8.1?
allow_url_fopen  	Off		On
display_startup_errors 	Off		On
Expose_php 		Off		On
Log_errors 		On		Off
Mail.aff_x_header 	On		Off
Max_execution time 	600/30		 600/600
max_input_time 	120/60	 	120/120
memory_limit 		1024/128	1024/1024
output_buffering 	no value	 0
post_max_size 		512/2		512/512
variables_order 	GPCS		EGPCS
zend.assertions 		-1		1
PDO drivers				Additional PDO drivers seen
PDO_ODBC section 	No PDO_ODBC	PDO_ODBC section
Pgsql section in 8.1	No Pgsql	Pgsql section
session.cookie_httponly	 no value	 0
session.gc_divisor 	0		100
session.gc_probability 	0	 	1
url_rewriter.tags	a=href		area=href, frame=src, input=src, form=fakeentry	form=
Zend OPCache 		running	 	running
Environment section 			heaps more Variables defined
PHP Variables section 			heaps more Variables defined

Many thanks!
Cheers
...Steve

Hi Steve

Seems from the list above that the php.ini is not being loaded for v8.1 (I presume it shows a path for v8.0?) - to truly test side by side then ideally both versions should be loading the same php.ini settings. You should raise this as an issue with your hosting provider and once resolved try your tests again

Some links below indicate that v8.1 *should* be quicker than v8.0:-

https://stitcher.io/blog/php-81-performance-in-real-life
https://pc-mind.com/is-php-8-1-faster-than-php-8-0-should-i-upgrade-to-php-8-1/
https://serverdiary.com/linux/benchmark-php-8-1-vs-php-8-0-php-7-4-php-7-3-php-7-0-php-5-6-and-php-5-5/

HTH