Re: PHP & Android

On 04/01/2023 13:53, Deepak Goel wrote:
The PHP interpretation is for the server. Wouldn't the android-java-app be able to work with the php-server?

Deepak
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi"

"Plant a Tree, Go Green"

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 7:20 PM Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 04/01/2023 12:07, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> If you wrote code in PHP language, this needs to be processed by PHP
> interpreter.
> Neither Android, nor Windows, nor GNU/Linux, nor MacOS interpret PHP
> language but the PHP software.
>
> If you want to run PHP code in X (Android) environment, you must
> install PHP interpreter to that environment.
>
> Regards.
>

> El 4/1/23 a les 11:41, Deepak Goel ha escrit:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am a newbie.
>>
>> I have developed a PHP application for the web using- Ubuntu 20, PHP
>> 7.3, MySQL 8. The application is similar to (astrosage.com
>> <https://www.astrosage.com/>) .
>>
>> Was wondering if I can port the code on Android? Will it work?
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Deepak
>> "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are
>> treated - Mahatma Gandhi"
>>
>> +91 73500 12833
>> deicool@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:deicool@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
>> <https://www.facebook.com/deicool>
>> LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/deicool>
>>
>> "Plant a Tree, Go Green"
>>
>> Make In India : http://www.makeinindia.com/home
>> <http://www.makeinindia.com/home>

That's not entirely true, there are applications that can run PHP on
Android, I've used them in the past. However, it would be much more
limited, and was only a CLI interface, without the capability to run the
internal web server.

Thanks,
Ash

--
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Couple of things: please don't top-post, and please keep on list for everyone to benefit.

Now on to a reply.

The PHP interpreter isn't just for a server. PHP is a scripting language, and as such, also has a happy home on the command line. In-fact, to this end, PHP comes with its own internal testing server: https://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.webserver.php that allows you to test web-based code via a browser without needing something like Apache, Nginx, or IIS set up locally.

In order to run code (either on a web server, or over the CLI) you need something that can parse and interpret that PHP code and then execute it. As I mentioned before, there were apps on Android that allowed you to execute PHP scripts on the phone via a command line interface. I've not used one for years now, so I can't recall any names of decent ones, however a Google search reveals many exist, and some that execute in a web-based context, so you can see the results in any browser installed on the phone.

--
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk