RE: Why FastCGI?

> To serve content from PHP by using HTTP in a professional way, there is a need  http/2 + http/3 (quic), to implement it, an event handler/concurrency is needed, in the same way, the professional HTTP servers do as Nginx, Litespeed Web Server or Cloudflare

Yes, I suppose I am not asking for a “full” http server (nor wanting PHP to replace Cloudflare!!).

In the real-world, you would have some type of loadbalancer (or even CDN such as Cloudflare or Cloudfront) in front. Maybe even some http-ingress router if you are into docker orchestrations.

Having PHP-FPM serve http (“simplified”) – does not stop you from putting Nginx in-front to do the more complex stuff (headers, redirects, rewriting, etc.). At least though it is a “reverse proxy” protocol understood by many upstream software/solutions.

So really nothing changes (neither for small nor bigger installations) – you can still run Nginx. Its just the protocol between Nginx <> PHP-FPM that changes 😊

> But, I do not recommend serving HTTP content directly from PHP, the core PHP developers only have reached a dev HTTP server, it's due to event/threads in PHP still not safe for enterprise, instead, the best connector so far isn't FPM, it is LSAPI based on this benchmark

I agree, maybe not php-cli itself, but why not FPM? It is already doing what is needed, except using a different protocol :)

Cheers,

Gunter