Re: Why FastCGI?

Greetings, Sam Hobbs.

> Gunter Grodotzki wrote on 3/21/2021 4:53 AM:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Why does fpm still use fcgi instead of http? What are the advantages (in modern days)?
>>
>> If it were to speak http, we could most probably avoid the requirement of nginx or similar as middlewoman, which makes cloud setups (docker, aws-alb, ...) a bit easier and more straight forward.
>>
>> What are the thoughts on this? Alternatively the built-in server but with forking capabilities (similar to fpm) :)

> HTML and FastCGI both require HTTP for the server and client to
> communicate. Server-side programming such as PHP require something like
> CGI, FastCGI or FPM to execute. CGI is the original technology, created
> for HTML to process forms. FastCGI is more efficient. I am not familiar
> with FPM but apparently it has improvements to FastCGI unique to PHP.

You did not understand the question and basically confusing the terminology.

CGI is a protocol of exchanging information between client and server. So is
HTTP.

FastCGI is a way to organize CGI server (and a small deviation from CGI
protocol, too).

FPM is a name for PHP's server manager.

HTML is a markup language, dammit. It does not exist on protocol level and is
not relevant to the question in the slightest.

The question is why do we need this HTTP -> CGI conversion step at all to
begin with.
The answer is that CGI protocol is simpler to implement. And generally
speaking, the first step is not necessarily HTTP.

--
Sincerely Yours, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@xxxxxxxxxxx>