Re: AW: Hello

On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 15:55 -0500, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On 08/28/2017 01:15 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> > On 8/28/2017 11:49 AM, Tobias Fichtner wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tobias,
> >
> > > PHP is maintained in different versions (5.6, 7, 7.1.)
> > >
> > > Mainpage for information is under https://php.net/
> >
> > Yes, I've looked at that a lot.
> >
> > > There are many Stacks for Web development for different
> > > Platforms, my
> > > personal favourite for windows is wpn-xm (https://wpn-xm.org)
> > > with a
> > > mass (if u need) extensions.
> >
> > What is a Stack?
> >
> > I'm not going to be doing Web development (at least, not for the
> > foreseeable future), and I'm getting away from Windows into Linux.
> >
> > > You can use PHP as CLI Version too, a GTK (outdated) version is
> > > also
> > > available.
> >
> > I've been using PHP exclusively in the CLI version, as a language
> > much
> > like C but with a lot of special features like XMLReader. It's also
> > higher-level than C, which makes many tasks easier.
> >
> > Alan
>
> PHP is alive and well, runs about 80% of the web, and has new
> versions
> of the language released regularly every fall.  There's PHP community
> conferences just about every month or more somewhere in the world and
> Meetup groups in almost every major city, plus some minor ones.
>
> I work at a hosting company, Platform.sh, and people launch new PHP
> sites with us on a daily basis.  Most are built on some existing
> application or framework -- Drupal, Symfony, Magneto, WordPress,
> Laravel, etc. -- as is typical of PHP these days.  We also host Node,
> Ruby, Python, and Go, but PHP is by far the biggest business driver.
>
> Our CLI tool is written in PHP.  Most of our backend software Python,
> with a bit of Go thrown in.  At some point we'll probably move the
> CLI
> to Go to make it easier to install for our non-PHP users, but for now
> it
> works quite well.
>
> PHP isn't the right tool for every job by any means, but if you're
> working on the web it's absolutely a viable and popular tool.  If
> you're
> doing strictly command line work, PHP can certainly do the job but
> Python or Go are equally viable, I'd say; that decision should be
> made
> based on what you find comfortable to work with and what your other
> systems are using.  (If you have 15 services written in Ruby, use
> Ruby
> for your CLI tools, not PHP.  If you have 12 PHP apps running, a PHP
> CLI
> tool makes total sense.)  If you want a background daemon PHP can do
> that but it's not ideal; I'd personally look toward Go at that point
> but
> there are other plenty of options.
>
> If you're doing web work, PHP should almost always be a consideration
> [...]

Going on from what you've said, PHP isn't always the best choice, but
it can really be used for anything. Couple of the craziest things I've
used it for is to communicate over sockets with an Arduino, and to
process images captured from a webcam to detect the position of an
object. Certainly not the best choice for those tasks, but it just
shows it can be used for really anything!

--
Thanks,
Ash

http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk