Re: Re: On going ZipArchive saga

On May 12, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Christoph Becker wrote:

Jeffry Killen wrote:

so, all I get is the string "ZipArchive returned false."  without any
listing for files that aren't found or
are not readable

Rather insufficient error information, but at least the fact that an
error occurred is reported.

Ah... is there another compression scheme I can use in php to create
archive files...
Gzip or bzip? I have looked and don't see any explicit create function
for these.

You can create tar archives (see class PharData) and then apply gzip or
bzip2 compression, to get .tgz resp. .tbz2 files.

Thank you Christoph, I think I will switch to that.

So far the only way I have been able to successfully create a zip archive file is with and immediate call to addFromString, or other immediate call
to add something to it (without a loop and/or switch block)

In this I also have switch to using addFromString in the loop and doing
file_get_contents($_addFile) with the same result. If it only works on
the simplest level here and not in any other server/php environment,
it is enough to be impractical.

I occured to me that ZipArchive should return a resource in the same
way that fopen,fread, etc do. That way the resource will be preserved
inside a loop and/or other branching construct.

Thank you for your time and attention
JK