Re: Open, edit & save document via browser

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM, David OBrien <dgobrien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why did you pick S3?
> If you could switch to google drive instead ( 100GB 1.99  a month, 1TB
> 9.99 a month ) their API allows you to use php to open and edit .docx files
>
> https://developers.google.com/drive/web/integrate-open
>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Jeffry Killen <jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 23, 2015, at 4:59 AM, Adrian Walls wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find a solution which via our application would open a
>>> document (docx) stored on AWS S3 allowing a user to make amendments to
>>> the
>>> document on their local machine via MS Office or OpenOffice but when they
>>> click save it would automatically save the document all the way back to
>>> S3.
>>>
>>> Is this something that would be possible to implement and if so I'd
>>> appreciate any suggestions as how I would go about it.  I've had a look
>>> at
>>> Webdav but I'm don't think it's suitable for this task as the documents
>>> are
>>> stored in various different accounts on the system plus I can't see how
>>> push this all the way back to S3.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Hi:
>>
>> I think that the closest you will get to this is to use an ftp client.
>> forgive my ignorance but I am not familiar with S3. IF it is sometning
>> the user can establish an ftp connection to, then in the ftp client
>> preferences
>> find the preference that allows you to tell the ftp client what
>> application to
>> open a file with. This would require the user to have a local ftp client
>> installed
>> ( use Fetch on Mac OSX), and the preference set.
>>
>> In my case I establish a connection to a host, local or remote, and open
>> a file
>> for edit. The file is opened in the application specified and then the
>> changes
>> are saved back to the original file at the location it was opened from.
>>
>> JK
>>

>> --
>>

>  Sorry for the previous top post

Also this says you can create a link to a file stored on s3 and open it
from there....

Also, applications can create shortcuts to data stored outside of Drive, in
a different data store or cloud storage system. If you need to store files
or file-like resources outside of Drive for any reason, shortcuts allow you
to still list them in Google Drive.

Shortcuts behave a lot like files. They can be opened and created, indexed
in search, and shared with other users. Unlike regular files, shortcuts do
not contain any content, and when synced to a desktop are opened as URLs in
the user's browser. Synced shortcut files are assigned the .glinkextension.

For information and code samples for shortcuts, see Create a shortcut to a
file
<https://developers.google.com/drive/web/integrate-create#create_a_shortcut_to_a_file>
.