Re: httpd not interpreting a php file

Another thing to look for in httpd.conf is a line that tells Apache
what extensions to use to recognize php. This line may have been
edited erroneously to remove or alter .php as an extension.

If this is a new installation of Apache you will probably have to
inspect the conf file for this.

If this is an existing installation of Apache and it has been working
as expected, it is very possible that someone edited the .conf file.

You may have a security problem with your system. Mostly sudoers
and Root (on Unix based systems, including Mac OSX) are the only
accounts authorized to edit the .conf file. Someone un qualified may
have gained access to the .conf file.