Re: Re: Where am I ... Take 2

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Lester Caine <lester@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The machines that need to identify their locations are in the same
> office as the announcement and display system that calls to the
> identified counters along with the web server so we have full control of
> the physical kit.
>
> I've spent a few hours reading up on VMWare, and the one thing that
> seems to be missing from every discussion on security and forensics is
> ANY reference to the physical location of a client. There seems to be an
> assumption that as long as physical security devices are used to access
> the system, that is sufficient, but is that really well placed, or just
> sticking head in and. If someone wants to hack a system they will obtain
> the means just like stealing car keys to pinch the car. The idea that
> because a client device only displays video images, so the data is
> inherently safe seems to miss the whole aspect of video recording?
>
> All *I* want to do is identify which Reception Desk or Interview Room a
> user is located at without having to rely on their selecting the right
> one from a list of perhaps 60 ... One does wonder at times if people
> even think things through at all?

Yeah, that's not really part of the VMware idea as far as I've seen. I
have a persistent desktop, and the beauty for me is I can start
working on the computer in my office, close the window and pull it up
on a computer in a lab down the hall, walk to another building and
pull it up on my laptop, etc. and continue working. For that matter, I
could even pull it up on my phone if I'm glutton for the punishment of
working on a small screen. Some of our users get non-persistent
desktops where they get a fresh machine every time they log in.

Andrew