Re: Re: Where am I ... Take 2

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Lester Caine <lester@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/07/14 19:29, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>>
>>> Something is needed that can read the real location information and
>>> allow the browser to access it. The whole point of switching to a
>>> browser based system was that we did not need custom code on the client
>>> machines :(
>
>> Until now, apparently. ;-)
>>
>> Kevin Kinsey
>>
>> PS > I suppose I'm late in on this.  Java applet, maybe?  But it
>> has to be "approved" by the end user.
>
> That is what I've reached so far. Option one is for them to select the
> location manually from a drop down list of 62 but having now learnt the
> right questions to ask, and established that the virtual desktop DOES
> have the information on it's physical location, the next question is
> just how to get at it ...

Short of a browser plug-in, Java applet, ActiveX control, etc., you
won't. That information is protected from the web browser for good
reasons. I don't know how your view environment is configured, but
even the idea of a batch file or custom shortcut may not work since
the users may not even have to be in your facility. In ours, they can
be practically anywhere in the world.

Andrew