Re: Where am I ... Take 2

Lester Caine wrote:

> Having now worked out the correct questions to ask, I've now discovered
> that the magic value that I need to read via the browser is
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment\ViewClient_Machine_Name

Um, are you sure that is the correct key?  HKEY_CURRENT_*USER* seems
doubtful.

> This will apparently contain the asset number of the machine I need to
> identify. It's IP address will not be contained in the browser header
> since that is provided via the load sharing from a poll of IP addresses
> managed by the VDI system rather than the physical IP address of the
> machine.
>
> I believe that I need the customer to run something on the desktop in
> order to make the variable available via the browser. It can't be read
> direct via javascript?

No, access to the registry is hopefully impossible via browser-side
JavaScript (otherwise that would be a security hole, IMHO).

However, it might not be necessary to "run something" on the desktop; in
the simplest case an appropriate shortcut to "start" the web application
might suffice.  If the value of the environment variable COMPUTERNAME
would be okay, it is as simple as:

  http://www.example.com/computername=%COMPUTERNAME%

(See
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21315708/reading-environment-variables-with-javascript>.)

If you really need to send the value of a registry key, a small batch
script should do the trick.

--
Christoph M. Becker