Re: framework or not

On 10/23/2013 12:34 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Tedd Sperling <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On Oct 23, 2013, at 12:04 AM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 13-10-22 05:38 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
If you need more convincing, I will cite Fred Brooks:

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~cah/G51ISS/Documents/NoSilverBullet.html

Excellent article, thanks for the pointer. So many assertions have stood
the test of time thus far.

Cheers,
Rob.

Yes, it was an excellent article.

One of the things I liked about the article was the concept of
"Incremental Development", which is something I have practiced since the
Old Apple ][ days (Incidentally, he states he learned of this in 1958 -- is
that a typo?).

In 1977, I started many of my programs with (pardon my failing memory of
AppleSoft syntax):

Gosub GatherData()
Gosub ProcessData()
Gosub PresentDate()
END

It ran, but didn't do anything. Incidentally, that resembles a one-pass
MVC design, does it not?

In any event, I would flesh out the code until I got what I wanted.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Android or iOS Development starts with
a Default "Hello World" App that does very little than run.

Start simple, develop complex.

Is there any other way to do it? I've been programming since 1975 and
that's what I was taught and that's how always do it.

Was it Brian Kernighan who said the 3 rules of programming are:

1. Keep it simple.
2. Build it in stages.
3. Let someone else do the hard part.

I like your comment Larry. Been doing that same approach myself since just a little before that time. And the place that the development cycle/life always bogs down is when we get to the hard part, isn't it? Suddenly a smooth project with some very grandiose pieces of designwork ends up behind schedule and getting patched together as we go slower and the user has few new 'ideas' to add, thus slowing it even more.

I agree with the article's conclusion as well. Over the years I've seen so many new ideas/products brought forward with promises of improved lifecycles and easier coding and yet, here we are 35+ years later still looking for the holy grail. And where have all the well-intentioned new products gone to?

oh, well.....