Re: framework or not

On Oct 23, 2013, at 12:04 AM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13-10-22 05:38 PM, Larry Garfield wrote:
>> If you need more convincing, I will cite Fred Brooks:
>>
>> http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~cah/G51ISS/Documents/NoSilverBullet.html
>
> Excellent article, thanks for the pointer. So many assertions have stood the test of time thus far.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

Yes, it was an excellent article.

One of the things I liked about the article was the concept of "Incremental Development", which is something I have practiced since the Old Apple ][ days (Incidentally, he states he learned of this in 1958 -- is that a typo?).

In 1977, I started many of my programs with (pardon my failing memory of AppleSoft syntax):

Gosub GatherData()
Gosub ProcessData()
Gosub PresentDate()
END

It ran, but didn't do anything. Incidentally, that resembles a one-pass MVC design, does it not?

In any event, I would flesh out the code until I got what I wanted.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Android or iOS Development starts with a Default "Hello World" App that does very little than run.

Start simple, develop complex.

Cheers,

tedd