Re: framework or not

On 13-10-21 01:24 PM, Bastien wrote:

On Oct 21, 2013, at 16:26, Curtis Maurand <curtis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been doing some research on frameworks, etc.  Everyone has one they like and even the development environments that you can get have their favorites and books seem to have their favorites.  I've been looking at Cake, Symfony, Zend, PEAR-Flexy, Smarty, Joomla, etc., etc., etc.  I'm not going to ask which framework everyone likes best because that's pointless.

All of the web hosting control panels/billing systems do not support the technologies that I'm currently using (dbmail, powerdns).  To that end, I need to write my own.  Should I be using a framework at all?

You may want to look at auraphp.com.  It provides libraries instead of frameworks and may make your tasks easier

While I have my own framework I have found that most of my work in recent years is working within other frameworks or integrating frameworks to share resources in some way (such as binding Drupal, MediaWiki, Moodle, etc. together). That said, I still use my own framework but find that I leverage it more as a building/deployment tool these days. For instance I often use it to build out these kinds of multi app deployments using one master configuration that generates the appropriate local configs and creates the site layout putting modules, libraries, etc where they belong and applies ownerships and permissions. I will often also use it when migrating data from legacy systems into new formats or to work with one of these apps. I also use it for generating one off scripts when the client requests a spreadsheet that brings data together from multiple sources. In my experience writing your own framework is a fantastic grounding in thinking through generalization, while learning other frameworks is an eye opener on different ways of tackling problems and how not one size fits all. I highly recommend both scenarios :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.