Trying to understand what is happening in this code

Hi - I am new to PHP so this is probably a very rudimentary question. I
posed it over at Stack Overflow and got several responses but none of them
clarified the issue for me.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19309369/trying-to-understand-how-these-php-sections-work-together

Here's the code I am trying to understand:

    <h1>The first twenty Fibonacci numbers:</h1>
    <ul>
    <?php
    $first = 0;
    $second = 1;
    for ($i = 0; $i < 20; $i++) {
        ?>
        <li><?php echo $first + $second ?></li>
    <?php
        $temp = $first + $second;
        $first = $second;
        $second = $temp;

    } ?>
    </ul></body>

This code produces an unordered list of the first 20 Fibonacci numbers. I
understand that HTML and PHP can be interspersed. I also understand that
the PHP processor will look over the code and pick up the code that is
between the opening and closing PHP tags. Here's where I am confused:

1. Can the processor really reassemble a for-loop that is broken into
segments by opening and closing tags? It seems like the integrity of the
loop would be broken. I would expect that the entire loop would have to be
contained within a single pair of opening and closing tags for it to work.

2. Even if the processor is able to reassemble the loop seamlessly, how do
the <li> tags get included in the loop since they fall outside of the PHP
tags?

Thanks for your help.

Nathan

Nathan Grey