Re: mysql_connect noob question

On 21 Apr 2013, at 22:43, Glob Design Info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Except that a) I already have my form and script done, b) don't have time to learn phpMyAdmin, c) want to know why the script doesn't work as-is.

You have multiple database users who will need to do this, or just one database user? If just one then it makes more sense to hard-code the username and password in the script and use something else like HTTP authentication to protect the script from unauthorised users. Giving internal database credentials to external users is generally a really really bad idea.

Also, consider the time it will take to learn phpMyAdmin (it's simple - install, use) against the time it's taking to get your script working. The time you've spent developing the script is already sunk so there's no point sinking more in an effort to make that already-sunk time worthwhile.

Also, how well tested is your script? I don't know but I can say with absolute confidence that phpMyAdmin has been tested far more.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd